Living Beaverton - Your guide to everything Beaverton


Our family got lucky – Learn from us

When I was 14, my family had a scary situation happen that could have turned out much worse than it actually did and for most it does. Let me tell you the story and I hope you learn from others, including my family.

It was a cold morning in November, and as usual, my dad had built a fire in the fireplace to heat the house prior to everyone heading off to school. We had built his house from the ground up and it had now been 7 years since we moved in. Through out those 7 years we had many fires, just like the one we had that morning. But, what we had never done during those summer months when we were not using the fireplace was hire someone to clean it.

                                                             Chimney Fire

Well, that morning when walking out to the school bus, my friends starting yelling to me that there were flames coming from our chimney. Yep, you guessed it we had a chimney fire. Lucky for us, before I had a chance to get the rest of my family out, a neighbor had already called the fire department. We all got out safe and the fire department put out the chimney fire, before any of the rest of the house was damaged. They told us to get it cleaned before we tried starting another fire or it could happen all over again.

For more home safety tips, feel free to call or e-mail me anytime.


Respect Realty LLC (Expect More)


At Respect Realty, LLC our agents believe in 100% dedication to client satisfaction.  We specialize in property and land acquisition around the Portland Metro and Vancouver, WA area. We delight in working with first time home buyers and sellers to guide them from start to finish. Our doors are always open and we are always happy to assist you with your real estate questions.


Reach out today, we look forward to talking with you!


Todd Clark and Seraina Aguayo (Owners of Respect Realty)

Respect Realty LLC (Expect More)



Thinking of buying? Start your home search by clicking here
Thinking of selling? Find how much your home is worth by clicking here


Don't forget to follow us on Social Media to keep up with the latest real estate information






Comment balloon 3 commentsRespect Realty LLC • June 22 2007 03:51PM


For those of us that heat with wood it is worth paying the $30 for a chimney clean every year.
Posted by Salt Spring Island real estate agent Scott Simmons (One Percent Realty Vancouver Island) about 12 years ago
You dodged a huge bullet there.  Thankfully everyone got out okay, but it is pretty amazing that only the chimney was damaged.  Those fires tend to spread very rapidly.
Posted by Steven Shewell, The Mortgage Maverick (Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc.) about 12 years ago

Thank you Steven and Scott,

You are right we did get lucky and we know it! My parents still live in that same house and I know they have the chimney swept every year now! They are never going to let that happen again.


Posted by Respect Realty LLC, Brokers - Oregon / SW Washington Real Estate (Respect Realty LLC) about 12 years ago

This blog does not allow anonymous comments